Practicing Self-care and Staying Connected
Having the opportunity to gather with friends and family to collectively mourn the death of your loved one may seem very far off. Until then, however, there are a variety of things you can do to practice self-care and stay connected with family and friends while you begin the grief journey.
- Post notice of your loved one’s death on social media. Invite your friends and family to post a memory and/or photo.
- Post notice of your loved one’s death in local newspapers and the funeral home’s website. Most funeral home websites offer the opportunity for friends and family to contribute a comment or memory.
- Write a letter about your loved one and memories you have. Make copies and mail them out to friends and family. Invite them to reply to you with memories of their own.
- Reach out to family and friends by phone. They’ll enjoy hearing from you and it’s an opportunity for you to share a memory of your loved one and for them to do the same.
- Keep a journal. As you are inspired to do so, write about memories of your loved one and how you are feeling about your grief. Share those memories with others as you are comfortable in doing so.
Learn more about self-care.